News, Cultural Publications & Websites
- El Nuevo Dia - keep up with the news in Puerto Rico with this online edition of one of the island's daily newspapers.
- "Güiro y Maraca", Bomba & Plena newsletter by the Segunda Quimbamba
Folkloric Center, Juan Cartagena (editor). Articles on music development,
musician interviews, record reviews, and comprehensive listing of
US Bomba & Plena groups. For information and subscriptions, 201-420-6332,
- "El Boricua", an enjoyable, monthly bilingual, cultural publication that
encourages Puerto Ricans to remember their roots.
Also offers a vehicle for contemporary poets and artists to publish their work.
Website and subscriptions, El Boricua.
- Website of Puerto Rico Boriquen - cultural website.
Jibaros.com - Very entertaining website on topics related to Puerto
PuertoRicans.com - Massive website offering information and links
on Puerto Rico.
- New York Folklore Society - recognizes and celebrates the extraordinary in everyday life, bringing focus to the traditions of New York's diverse peoples.
Tourist Information Sites
- What to do when you get to Puerto Rico? See
Puerto Rico Tourism Company. Tons of information and links about planning the perfect vacation! Website sponsored by the government of Puerto Rico.
- Langenscheidt Publishing Group,
"Insight Guide to Puerto Rico",
(Travel guide book with photos to make you homesick. Sections on culture
and history.) [Book]
- Escape to Puerto Rico is an internet guide to Puerto Rico featuring trip planning tools and resource information, guides for entertainment, local business, government and community services. They even have
Puerto Rico ECards.
- Visitors' Info from Caribbean Business Online.
- The Old San Juan Walking Tour is a two hour podcast that explores the many attractions and historical sites of Old San Juan. Visit their sister site
puertoricophotography.com for breathtaking photos.
is an information website that includes a calendar of Arts and Cultural events
- The Puerto Rico Guide, another travel site for those who like to study EVERYTHING before they decide on vacation plans.
- Paradise Puerto Rico , another travel site with useful information on attractions, restaurants, places to stay, etc.
- What city has the largest Puerto Rican population? New York City! See what's going on with
NuYorico.com . Lists classes, arts showings, concerts and events of all kinds, including those at the famous casita Rincon Criollo.
- La Fonda Boricua - While you are in NYC visit one of my favorite Puerto Rican restaurants on the planet.
- PR Parade (Tampa) - vacationing in Florida? Tampa's annual celebration of PR culture takes place the last Sunday in April.
- www.virtualboricua.org - their culture page lists cultural activities happening in NYC.
Cumbanchero Ponceno by Antonio Broccoli Porto
Copyright, shown with permission.
Libraries and other Research Sources
- Instituto de Cultura Puertorrique~a (Institute of Puerto Rican
Culture). Official agency in Puerto Rico that preserves our culture.
They keep a calendar of cultural events on the island. Viejo San Juan,
Puerto Rico, (787) 724-0700,
- Biblioteca General Jose M Lazaro, Universidad de Puerto Rico Recinto
de Rio Piedras. People on the Island refer to this as the UPR Library
(the main library at the University Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras).
- Center for Puerto Rican Studies, University-based research institute
at Hunter College, NYC, (212) 772-5688,
To access search engine for library's database: select "Library and Archives,"
then "CUNY+". (Note: search engine reports holdings for all
City University of New York Libraries.)
- UT-LANIC - Puerto Rico Reference Desk at the University of Texas at
Incredible collection of web site links on Puerto Rico!
- Directory of Resources for Research on Puerto Rico.htm,
Another incredible collection of web site links on Puerto Rico!
- US Dept. of Education's Publication Database - they once had a searchable
bibliographic database of more than 20,000 publications produced or
funded by ED since 1980. Included many materials for educators on
Puerto Rican culture. I useto have the link but someone moved it. Hopefully this hint is enough to help you find it.
- Fundacion Puertorriquena de las Humanidades, Box S-4307, Old San Juan,
PR 00904, (787) 721-2087.
- Editorial de la Universidad de Puerto Rico, San Juan, 787-250-0550.
Book Publisher. Can buy direct with credit card.
- Libreria La Tertulia - books in Spanish, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico,
(787) 765-1148. Tertulia.com
- Used Book Stores that have been recommended by friends -- Bookfinder
(www.mxbf.com) and Half.com (www.half.com).
For *YOUR* convenience, whenever possible, we have provided direct links to books. We receive *NO* benefits for your ordering through these links.
Cumbanchero de Plena by Antonio Broccoli Porto
Music & Videos:
Copyright, shown with permission.
- Cineisla.com is the first web portal totally dedicated to the sell of movies, concerts, special events, documentaries and short films from Puerto Rico.
- Polyphonia in Hato Rey. One of the best places for sheet music. Ask for Nilka, 1-787-758-4211.
- DiscoHit.com - was so excited when I found them online!!
- MusicaBoricua.com - online site to order CDs of Puerto Rican music.
- Descarga - web-order latin music store with a great search engine. In New York City.
- Casa Latina - music store in New York City with all kinds of Puerto Rican music in stock.
If I don't buy it in Puerto Rico I buy it here! 151 East 116th Street,
Vincente Barreiro, 212-427-6062.
- Puerto Rican Music Online.com - music store in Puerto Rico dedicated to the cuatro, sells CDs, music books, and instruments.
- The Cinema Guild - educational video store including titles on Puerto
Rican studies, history, music, culture. (Important note: specify
whether videos will be for personal use or institutional use. Institutions
may higher for public performance rights.)
Treasures & Antojitos:
We hold the banner high for Puerto Rico everyday!
Thank you in advance for your donation of any size!!
For more information:
Dr. Ana María Tekina-eirú Maynard
Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance & Cultural Center
Cultural Center Address: 701 Tillery Street #13, Austin TX 78702-3740 (Map & Directions)
Mailing Address: 15228 Quiet Pond Court, Austin TX 78728-4555
Copyright ©1997-2015 Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance, Inc. All rights